Friday, December 3, 2010

Paper Plate Christmas Trees

WE USED:

* paper plates (2 sizes)
* scissors
* ruler
* cardboard tube
* paint
* bingo marker
* blutac (or you might prefer to use glue)
* sticky tape
* yellow paper
* cotton ball

Using a ruler to get your lines straight cut three segments from the paper plates, each a little smaller than the last. I cut the biggest and smallest pieces from a large plate and the middle from a small plate, but you could also use the same plate for all three.

This is how the pieces go together to form a Christmas Tree shape.

We made some green paint by mixing yellow and blue together (Bubble is right into colour changing at the moment).

Then the girls painted the segments of their trees.

I cut two trees so Squeak could make one too. I stuck the pieces to her highchair tray with blutac and let her go for it with a paintbrush (and her hands ;-D).

Once the paint was dry Bubble decorated her tree with some 'baubles' by dabbing on ink from a bingo marker. A cotton bud and paint would do the job too :-)


I showed her how to add snow around the edges using a cotton ball and white paint and she decorated all three segments.

We cut a yellow star from our coloured paper and used blutac to assemble our tree. You could also use glue if you wanted, we were just impatient!

Squeak's tree :-)

We made a trunk for our Christmas tree by splaying one end of the cardboard tube and taping it to an upturned paper plate for stability.


Our very cute paper plate Christmas tree :-) This is Squeak's side.

And Bubble's side.



20 comments:

  1. Oh, that`s very cute! We will definitely make it too.

    What I like in your blog is that you don`t show the result at the beginning.. I scroll and scroll with excitment and then see the result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) you do make me smile with your crafts! They are all clever and cute! Like the bit of "colour theory" too!! They learn without realising they are learning!!

    Maggy
    Red Ted Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thankyou Mermaid! Your comments are always so lovely, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you enjoy a post! :-) Im glad you dont mind scrolling for the end results too, sometimes I wonder if I go overboard with the photos hehe. Hope you are having a happy Christmas season so far x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks Maggy :-) Bubble is really into colours, letters and numbers, it makes teaching her so much easier for me. Im finding a lot of fun things to do with both my girls at Red Ted Art already, now all I need is about ten more hours in a day :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTABULOUS!!! Just love this idea! Thank you for sharing!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou Stacey and Emily, Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for more activities to do with my middle son and this is perfect!! And, the fact that he can use his dot markers is even more perfect!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Christmas tree idea!! It's cute and looks like your girls had a blast making it.

    I would love to feature this activity and photo on my preschool website… if that is okay with you… I would give you credit for it, of course.

    My site is http://www.prekfun.com

    I’m currently working on the Christmas theme on my site and always looking for new and exciting ideas like your cute Christmas tree.

    Thanks!

    Shell
    www.prekfun.com
    shellabc@prekfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our Homeschool Fun - my pleasure, I hope you and your little boy have a great time making trees :-)

    I'd be honoured Shell, thankyou! Will pop over to your site later and have a look around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just the sweetest craft and it looks fabulous! I am now following along with you. :-)

    I'd like to invite you to link this up to our Christmas Fun Party - http://ourworldwideclassroom.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-fun-2010-kick-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kylie, both for your lovely comment and for following :-) Will pop on over to your Blog now and have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caz,

    As always, I just love your ideas.

    So clever and cute!

    Your paper plate tree project will be a fun one for Little Bro.

    Saw that Deb had mentioned your post over at Living Montessori Now too...

    Have included a link to your lovely blog post within my post...

    http://sunriselearninglab.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-our-shelves-december-activities.html

    Happy holidays!
    Colleen:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute Christmas tree! I featured your post in my Activity of the Week post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/12/06/activity-of-the-week-turning-christmas-crafts-into-montessori-oriented-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the lovely comment and also the link Colleen, wow I loved you latest Blog post so many great activities!

    Thankyou Deb, will be heading over to read up on your Blog properly later tonight :-) Cheers for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever! We made one out of cupcake stand yesterday with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son made this in school and I am including it in my blog for Christmas crafts. I plan to link to your directions. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was one the of the cutest craft we did this year....around the base of the tree trunk with put cotton balls for snow....so cute

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just the perfect decor for kids' rooms on Christmas day!I will be able to use some extra paper plates at home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your Christmas tree project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/paper-plate-christmas-tree/

    If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete